It's the perfect lunch (though I have definitely eaten it at other times of the day too). This salad is flavourful and filling, but doesn't weigh you down or make you need a mid-day nap!
- 3-4 handfuls greens of choice (spinach, marinated kale, chard, rocket etc)
- 1 can chickpeas (400g) or 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed (pat dry to optimise crispiness)
- 1 medium sweet potato, sliced into 1cm thick rounds
- Spices: smoked paprika, salt and pepper
- Toppings: whatever takes your fancy - berries, chopped fruit, tomatoes, seeds, nuts, sprouts etc
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup (add more if needed)
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in two pans.
- Sweet potatoes: arrange rounds in single layer in one pan and season generously with the spices listed above. Flip after 5 mins and season the other side. Cook until fork tender and lightly browned on both sides - usually 10/15 mins
- Chickpeas: Add to the other pan and season generously. Shake the pan to evenly distribute the seasoning. Cook until crispy - usually 10/15 mins also.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together and toss together with the greens in a salad dish.
- Add chickpeas, sweet potato and toppings of choice to the dish.
- Add more dressing, if desired.
- This salad is fairly adaptable, so feel free to switch up the greens to what you have/prefer and same goes for the nuts and seeds. However I recommend using sweet potato and chickpeas, because it's magic.
- This salad is definitely transportable for work/school/college as long as you keep the dressing separate from the salad until just before you eat it. You could cook the sweet potato and toast the chickpeas the night before and add them to the rest, when cooled. I enjoy them just as much when cold!
I hope you have a lovely day!