It's perfect for snacking on when you're feeling too lazy to cook or just need something quick and easy. I brought some along on a picnic last Sunday and my friend B loved them too! She picked up the ingredients and made them herself yesterday - though she struggled with getting them to look pretty (I've included my method for getting them to look like restaurant sushi below)
Once you have the ingredients on hand, this sushi comes together in less than 5 minutes. You don't need any fancy equipment - just a large sharp knife and a chopping board!
- 1 large carrot, peeled and topped
- 1 nori sheet (mine was already toasted)
- 4 tsp hummus
- Cut the nori sheet into 2 strips.
- Slice the carrots into thin sticks (keep long enough to go across nori strip).
- Place a nori strip (rough side up) on the chopping board & spread a thin layer of hummus on it (approx. 2 tsp hummus per nori strip).
- Stack carrot sticks widthways at one end of nore strip.
- Roll up sushi (beginning with carrot end).
- Chop sushi roll into 3 bite-sized pieces using a large knife (I used a cleaver[scary!], but any large knife will do). Note: If you want beautiful restaurant-worthy sushi, then use gentle sawing motions to chop and clean the knife between chops - otherwise the fillings will explode out (it will still taste delicious though!).
I hope that you enjoy this speedy sushi as much as I do!