I had dinner with a good friend of mine this week, who has been vegetarian for years and is heading in the direction of being vegan. She cracks an egg into her morning porridge, which helps keep her full for longer. She asked me if I had any alternatives, which would have the same effect as the egg (but without involving any animals).
I came up with several ideas, which I will share with all of you!
Here's my favourite porridge recipe which incorporates many of these ingredients!
Serves: 1 person
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk (I used almond)
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup buckwheat groats & millet (quinoa or cooked brown rice would also be perfect)
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/2-1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 TB chia seeds + 3 TB milk
- 1 TB maple syrup, if needed
- 1 TB almond butter (any nut/seed butter would work - peanut, cashew, sunflower etc)
- hemp seeds
- pumpkin seeds
- sunflower seeds
- walnuts, chopped
- berries or chopped fruit (banana, apple, pear etc)
- Add all ingredients to saucepan and bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes with the lid on.
- In the meantime whisk 1 TB chia seeds with 3 TB milk and set aside until chia egg has formed (chia seeds will absorb all the liquid and become thick - like tapioca).
- Remove the saucepan from the heat once the grains and apple have softened.
- Mix in whatever Add-ins you're using.
- Pour into a bowl and go crazy with the toppings!
I hope you enjoy this porridge as much as I do!
Have a lovely day :-)